I have made progress, I swear!
- I’ve taken one truck full of things to Hand’s Up, a regional charity (like Goodwill or the Salvation Army).
- I’ve thrown out three extra garbage cans of trash.
- I’ve given away several items through my workplace message center AND
- I’ve sold ONE tool.
- I’ve even posted a few things on e-bay (no bidders yet).
In addition to all of this great basement related work, I’ll have you know I have also:
- patched holes in my bathroom wall because I
- drilled holes in my bathroom wall to hang the
- new shower curtain rod after the old one fell completely out of the ceiling
I have also visited friends on weekends instead of cleaning my basement, gone on several walks with my dog instead of cleaning my basement, attended several stimulating gallery talks and plays instead of cleaning my basement, and – most importantly, made home made beef broth and then home-made Pho, instead of cleaning my basement.
Perhaps I should promise myself to clean my basement all the time as a way to make every other thing in my life a more attractive thing to do!
Even though I estimate I am only 1/3-2/5 finished, I have learned a lot in the process so far. Here’s some of my basement cleaning wisdom.
- If it hasn’t been out of the wrapper since you bought it, and that was more than a year ago, YOU DON’T NEED IT.
- Even though I am trying hard not to put things in a land fill, SOME THINGS JUST NEED TO BE THROWN OUT.
- Those pants NEVER LOOKED GOOD on me.
- There are some TOOLS THAT EVERY GIRL SHOULD HAVE.
- Apparently, cleaning the basement is NOT a one-month project.
Will I finish before 2012? Maybe.
Do I care if I do or not? Absolutely not.